Tag-Team Blog: Hi Genkei

At first glance, one would assume this is part of the kitchen area. Actually it was just a few feet away from where we sat.

Katsu Curry. Served with half an egg and some veggies.


Pork Katsu Donburi. It's pork with eggs and green onions over a bed of rice. Also includes some type of sauce so that the rice is not plain/dry.

Shows how big the portion was....this was actually what I had packed to-go. Can feed a whole family.

This was a rather interesting place to visit. Hi Genkei Restaurant is located right by the National Nikkei Heritage Centre. Aside from providing meals for the senior residents (New Sakura-so and the Nikkei Home), HG is also open to the public for lunch and dinner.

My buddy was telling me about this place and how it got great reviews online. We were both curious to try this to see for ourselves just what all the fuss is about this place.

We decided we would do a double blog on this restaurant. He was one of the persons that got me to start one as he had one going before me. Be sure check out his review of Hi Genkei at:
Vancouver Slop Review on Hi Genkei

As mentioned above, the restaurant is part of an old folks home, but is also open to the public. I ordered the Pork Katsu Donburi (commonly called Pork Katsu Don) while my buddy ordered the Pork Katsu Curry.

The Pork Katsu Curry came first and my buddy was courteous enough to wait for my dish before he started eating....a minute went by....and then two...and then three...five minutes had gone by and still no sign of my dish. "Go ahead, don't wait for me!"

A good ten minutes later, my buddy was down to his last few bites...still no sign. Hmmm...did they run out of rice? I was going to inquire about it when the server assured me that she would check on it. It came out a few mins later.

I quickly got started on it and burnt my tongue. It was a huge portion though. I couldn't finish it all as I had just eaten a sandwich prior (FoodSafe 101: Be sure to chuck out any deli meats that you may have due to the recent Listeria outbreak. Better to play it safe than sorry).

The food was okay, but it was by no means mind blowing or "this is the most amazing rice dish I've ever had!!!" No no no...none of that. I think it would be pretty hard serving a horrible Katsu Don. On the other hand, I highly recommend the Chicken Terriyaki Don served at Sai-Z. "Chicken Breast Teriyaki on Steamed Rice and Mushrooms Cooked in Sweet Balsamic Sauce." The sauce that they use over the rice is incredible. It's quite a pricey restaurant though.

Back to HG....it was an interesting place to visit. The food was okay. It was by no means amazing or mind blowing. It is a good value though. I believe our rice dishes cost about $8, but you do get quite a big portion for that price.



Hi Genki

6680 Southoaks Crescent
Burnaby, BC
V5E 4N3
Phone: 604-777-0533

Hours:

Mon-Sun
Lunch 11:30 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Dinner 6 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.


Hi Genki on Urbanspoon


No comments: